Friday, October 22, 2010

Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice

Today is the first time it's felt like fall this year.  Waking up to 43 degree weather outside at 7:15 this morning finally wore me down to put my flannel sheets and thermal blanket on the bed for the remainder of 2010.  This is my absolute favorite time of year.  I love to see the leaves turning from vibrant green to carmel, copper, orange, crimson, and brown.  They way they crunch under my feet is a wonderful sound, only to be followed by scooping them up into a big pile and then jumping into them.  Feeling the cool air against my skin reminds me of how nice it is to wrap up into sweaters, quilts, coats, and scarves or sit next to a fire in the evenings.  Seeing and hearing the rain roll through town and add a sense of dreariness to the atmosphere makes me appreciate all of the wonders that mother nature is capable of producing at any given moment.

What this time of year really signifies for me is the sense of family and friends.  The thing that I miss most about Kansas is my dearly, dearly loved ones who remain there.  It's during this time of year that I would love to get together with my sister or best friend and drink hot chocolate while chit-chatting about life, love, and everything in between; come home and bake pumpkin bread or banana nut bread to give to my boyfriend or save for myself; to curl up with a homemade quilt and a good book next to the fire and spend a few hours lost in another world.

In a few weeks it will be Thanksgiving.  This will be the third and final Thanksgiving that I will be spending without my biological family and it's somewhat bittersweet.  Having friends who invite me into their homes, families, and hearts is such a blessing, that I feel that I will never be able to repay them the kindness they've shown me.  My first Thanksgiving apart from my family was spent in Yuma.  I cried when they called and wished me a happy Thanksgiving on my Momaceta's phone.  The upside?  I was in capri pants standing in Mexico to buy odds and ends.  Last year was spent in Prescott Valley, Cherry, and Mayer.  Baking three different types of cheesecake for each Thanksgiving was a little much, but I enjoyed the look on everyone's face when they took a bite of their homemade dessert.  This year, I will be spending Thanksgiving in Mayer with my surrogate mother and father.  This couple has done more for me than they will ever realize and I hope that I can share with them how much they mean to me during this last holiday season.

Just a thought....Why wait until the holiday season to show people how much you care when you can do it so much more often every day of the year?

Currently listening to:  Mumford and Sons Sigh No More
Currently reading: Hector's Search for Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment